For an overview of how to stock your kitchen, see The Grocery Bag for Everyone – get the good stuff to cover all of your basic health needs, then check out the tips below to get the most out of your groceries!
Achieving wellness through a healthy balance of exercise and nutrition is easier than you think. Treat your body well by giving it a colorful blend of whole food products throughout the day, combined with your favorite exercise (spinning, yoga, mountain climbing, walking) and a great attitude, and what you’ll find is the true meaning of Wellness in your life.
- Drink lots of water throughout the day, every day.
- Chew your food completely to help the digestive process.
- Choose organic fruits and veggies from local growers when possible.
- Opt for flax, olive or grape seed oil, lemon or vinaigrette instead of creamy salad dressings to lightly dress your salad.
- Try to eat veggies raw or lightly steamed to ensure you're getting the most vitamins and minerals out of them.
- "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper." AND, never skip breakfast!
- Snack on low-glycemic, unprocessed whole foods every 2 to 3 hours to keep your metabolic engine running at a good pace.
- After working out, be sure to recover with a healthy Recovery Shake within 30 minutes – timing is everything!
- Make sure to get at least 3 natural colors on your plate at each meal.
- Slow digestion by eating a healthy balance of carbs, protein and fats at every meal.
- Never go food shopping on an empty stomach.
- Eat before you feel like you're starving to avoid overindulging or eating convenient, unhealthy foods.
- If it does not rot or sprout, throw it out!
- Breathe deeply.
- Enjoy your meals in a calm environment, and try to avoid eating while standing or watching TV. Eating your meal should be your focus.
TOP 10 FOODS
- Whole Grains (wheat, millet, oats, etc.)
- Vegetables (kale, carrots, beets, etc.)
- Nuts (almonds, pistachios, hazelnuts, etc.)
- Green Tea
- Olive Oil
- Fish (salmon, tilapia, flounder, etc.)
- Citrus (oranges, grapefruit, lemons, etc.)
- Organic Dairy (milk, yogurt, cheese, etc.)
FOODS TO AVOID
- Fried foods
- Margarine, Shortening
- Supermarket prepared foods: Pastries, Chips, Breads, Soups, Treats, etc.
- White Sugar, Cane Sugar & Juice
- White-flour "semolina" pasta
- White-flour wheat breads